The ultimate shopping checklist for new-borns
in the final days of pregnancy, women feel the urgent need to gather all the useful stuff for their babies. This stage is called “nesting”. So put this instinct to good use and shop for all the useful things you will need for the baby in the coming days. Hope you have read my post on checklist for hospital bag for mom.
Here is a comprehensive list; I have tried to include links of relevant products for reference wherever I could. These links are not sponsored and the intention is to help you get an idea of what the products look like. You will get most of these products at your local market too.
Hope you find it useful
Packing list for the hospital
1) 4 pairs of prewashed New born sized clothes, including mittens, shoes, caps and woollens in case it’s winter season
4) quick dry sheet or a diaper changing mat
5) baby bedding , preferably with a mosquito net attached
6) disposable New born size diapers
7) baby washcloth/ handkerchief
List for when the baby arrives home
Besides the list i wrote above, we need to stock up on some more essential stuff for the time when your baby arrives home. My suggestion would be not go overboard with the shopping. You can stock up for a week and then buy things as and when required.
1)7 pairs of New born clothes
2)Woollen clothes in case it’s winter
3)Soft vests to wear under the clothes
Most of the clothing items I wrote here come together as a part of new born sets too. It is always wise to invest in these as its cost effective and gives you a chance to color coordinate your little ones outfit!
7) Baby wipes/ soft cotton : I used soft cotton ( buy medical grade, sterile cotton) soaked in warm water to clean before diaper change for my new born.
8) Soft handtowel/ burp cloth
9) Bath tub/ bathing chair: we used a chair in the initial days and after Noddy could learn to sit without support, we moved on to a baby bath tub
10) Hair brush
11) Bath towel
13) Nappies : buy around 2 dozens of these. Babies need diaper free time to prevent those rashes . I had used nappy for Noddy until he turned one month, following which I started using cloth diapers. You can read about cloth diapers here.
14) Ear buds
15) Nailclipper/ scissor
16) Massage oil
17) Baby Soap/ body wash
18) Baby Shampoo
19) Soft Muslin cloth to clean tongue everyday
22) Nappy rash cream : I used Ezinapi cream
I hope I have covered everything you need at least during the first 10 days of your baby’s arrival. Dont forget to wash and sanitise everything before using it for your delicate little squish!